Would it be nice to have a mid-size drone that can fit in a glove box or a small backpack? And you know what would be even better? If it could follow you around and make videos and photos of you. Apparently, someone from the Contixo Company thought the same, so they made The Contixo F22 RC Foldable Quadcopter Drone. It is packed with fun features, and yet, the functionality, flight characteristics, and practicality are not neglected in the making process.
As we said before, the manufacturer is Contixo Company, Based in Ontario, California. They specialize in high- tech equipment and gadgets, so this drone has a good starting point. We will see how that affects the final verdict.
- Flight time – 13-15 minutes
- Flight range – 1800 feet
- Camera – 1080 p, hand gesture activation, tilt up and down
- Sensors – GPS, barometer
- Special features – Follow me, Circle around POI, auto return home, auto land, take off
- Size – 11.81 x 11.41 x 2.56
- Weight – 0.45 pounds
- Battery – 7.4V 1200mAh lithium polymer
- Charge time – 110 minutes
- Transmitter – foldable dedicated remote control
Contixo F22 Pros
- Foldable. When it is folded, it fits in a lunch box. You can carry it everywhere
- Transmitter. Foldable ergonomic transmitter with a built-in smartphone stand and Wi-Fi antennas
- HD camera. Wide- angle 1080P HD Wi-Fi camera that can be tilted up and down, can be activated with a hand gesture, and can recognize your face and take photos or videos.
- Follow me and circle around the POI function. The drone follows you around and takes pictures and videos, or you can instruct it to fly around some Point Of Interest and film it.
- FPV mode. The streaming camera enables the First Person View flying
- GPS Flight Routs and Auto Return Home. You can instruct the drone to fly a pre-designated route by choosing the points on the map. And you can bring it back to the starting point with a press of a button.
- Adjustable speed – speed settings are available, slow for beginners, faster for the experienced
- Storage case. The folded drone fits in a small case, which can be easily placed in a backpack, so you can take it hiking or biking
Contixo F22 Cons
- Proprietary battery. You have to buy a spare one from the same manufacturer, because it is specially designed, and fits in the slot exactly.
- Design. Boxy. But the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
To be honest, this drone is not much of a looker. The design is boxy, and not too modern, but that probably has to do with the fact that a lot of compromises had to be made in order to make this drone foldable. What it lacks in design, it makes up in the quality of the materials used. It combines quality alloy metal and tough polycarbonate framework that makes it robust, and the propellers use aerofoil technology.
When folded, this drone fits in a small, lunch-box size, case. It comes pre-assembled, it is ready to use as soon as you take it t of the case. Just spread the rotor arms, and you are all set. Off course, charge the battery first. When folded, this drone fits in a small, lunch-box size, case. The dimensions of an assembled drone are 11.81 x 11.41 x 2.56 Inches and the weight is 0, 45 pounds
Read next: Propel Cloud Rider HD 2.0 Review
The drone arms are pretty thin, compared to the thick body. In the front, there is a camera, and on the top side, there is a slot for the battery. There are four LED lights indicating the back and the front of the drone, and also make it more visible.
Contixo F22 Camera
The 1080p HD camera that can be tilted up and down is the main feature of this drone. The other drones are designed to keep you entertained, but this one is envisioned to keep you filmed. The Camera is hand gesture activated. Hold two fingers in V sign, and the camera will take your picture, wave and it will start filming. It can be instructed to recognize you and film you in a crow or to follow you around and film you. If you think that you are not the only thing worth filming, you can instruct the drone to go to specific Point of Interest, and the drone will circle around and film it. No need to mention that the camera is streaming video to your smartphone, so you can enjoy FPV through The Contixo F22 Interactive App. You can easily share or upload your footage. The distance for streaming videos is 800ft max.
Read next: UPAIR One Drone 2.7K Review
The 2, 4 GHz rechargeable remote control is small, at least you will think so when you take it out of the box. But it is also transformable. There are additional grip points that are folded on the back of the remote. When you extend them, the size of the remote increases just to the right size to enable good grip. The phone holder is also folded.
As far as the joysticks and buttons are concerned, there are no surprises here. Two standard joysticks, auto take-off and auto-land, speed adjustment, return home, and camera controls.
Contixo F22 Battery
An Intelligent Battery 7.4V 1200mAh lithium polymer battery enables this drone up to 13-15 minutes of flight time per charge. Charging Time is about 110 minutes. The LED lights on the battery show the remaining power, and there’s a Micro USB charging port on the side.
The battery is proprietary, so you have to buy a spare from the same manufacturer, which might be a downside.
GPS, Flight Routs
This drone has a GPS sensor, so you can make waypoints for it on the map.
When you connect it to the smartphone, you can order it to follow it around. You can go running, or mountain biking and the drone will follow you while taking pictures, or filming video.
FPV control and VR
The streaming camera enables you to see the video in real time.
1-Key Takeoff & Landing
The drone can be launched or landed with a press of a button.
It can be instructed to fly around and film a certain Point of Interest.
Return to Home Function
If you don’t want to fly the drone back, you can simply order it to return to the initial position, with a press of a corresponding button.
The folded drone fits in a small case, which can be easily placed in a backpack, so you can take it hiking or biking.
Contixo F22 RC Foldable Quadcopter Drone: Flying experience
The drone is pretty easy to fly. It would be strange if it was otherwise, considering the many features the drone has. Autoland, auto hover, follow me, return home, flight routes…. Just to name a few. It is stable and predictable in flight, it has a speed adjustment feature. With the highest speed setting, it is really fast and can oppose the wind quite successfully. Remote Control distance is 1800 ft.